Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chicken soup to cure a cold

So I've been sick... really sick. I've had a chest cold for about a week, and then I ended up in the ER on tuesday night (yup, that's right folks... spent Valentines in the ER) with severe back and abdominal pain, which ended up being a kidney infection. Who knew they would hurt so much?? So I've been hanging out and taking it easy, but whenever I'm sick I become totally obsessed with soup, and I knew I wanted some homemade chicken soup. So I got my better half to pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way home, and I got to it.

Step one: Making the stock
This is totally optional. You can get a big 5 qt pot and fill it with boxed stock, but I really like making my own as it tastes amazing and you just know that it isn't full of MSG and sodium. So after we've devoured some of the chicken, I go ahead and take the rest of the tasty chicken off of the bones and set it aside. Then I take everything else (bones and skin- I mean all of it!) and put it in a 5 qt pot. I fill it up about an inch and a half from the rim, as some of it is going to evaporate. Some people add veggies and that's fine, but I hate having to throw them away at the end, so I pass on that step. Turn the burner onto high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and put a lid on it. I like to let mine go for about 2 hours, although it mostly reaches the "meat falling off the bones" stage at about an hour. After it is done, you can fish out all of the bones and skin and discard them.










Step 2: Making the soup!
You will need:
- 1 bag no yolk noodles (I prefer the extra wide kind- they're cuter)
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalk of celery heart, finely chopped
- 3 peeled carrots, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (use 1/2 tsp if you are crazy and don't like spicy foods)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme


Add 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the herbs and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the veggies to the stock. Chop the chicken in bite sized pieces and add to stock.







Bring the stock to a boil and add 3/4-1 bag of no yolk noodles. We were pretty hungry this time, so we added all of them, but if you like less noodles in your soup, feel free to adjust! Cook according to package directions.









Serve into bowls and top with salt and pepper. Enjoy!







This is definitely one of my favorite comfort foods. It made me feel so much better, and I hope it can brighten your day as well! Make sure to share it with a friend, but kitties probably shouldn't have any, even if they beg...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my I'm glad you're all right, what an ordeal! That chicken soup looks great, I miss getting to put noodles in mine (bf is on Atkins, grrr). I just made a big pot of something similar this weekend, but mine was "caldo de pollo", with biiig chunks of chicken, carrot, cabbage, and celery root in a very clear broth (I put whole spices of Mexican persuasion in a little bag and put it in the pot to keep it clear). Served it with fresh avocado on top and tortillas on the side. Nom!

    ReplyDelete