Sunday, August 25, 2013

Broken lasagna casserole with mushrooms, sausage, and kale

So I had a long, rough week at work. First of all, I ended up having only one day off. Then one of the kids I work with was REALLY physically aggressive towards me. I mean kicking, hitting me over the head with huge books, destroying my things- the works. And to top it all off most of my days started at 6 in the morning (and I don't mean waking up at 6, I mean arriving at a shift at 6am) and ended with me not getting home until 7 or 8pm. Don't get me wrong, I love being a Behavioral Health Professional, but jeeze it can be stressful! So I seriously needed some comfort food. Lasagna sounded good, but all of my noodles were broken! I decided to use them anyways and approach it more like a casserole, so this recipe was born late at night after a crazy day. And wow, did it make me feel better! Here's hoping it can give you the boost you need to keep going after a long, tough week. You will need...


















- around 8 sheets of lasagna, broken into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 jar of the tomato sauce of your choice
- 1 lb hot italian turkey sausage
- 1.5 cups of part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced


- 4 to 5 large kale leaves, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced










1. Preheat over to 375 degrees. Remove the casing from the turkey sausage and brown in a skillet over medium heat. I like to use a potato masher in order to quickly crumble the meat.


2. When the meat is brown, remove it from the pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the pan that you used to brown the meat. Cook the mixture for about 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms are wilted and the onions are translucent. 

                                      

3. Add the kale to the skillet and cook until wilted, about 3-5 minutes. Turn off burner and set veggie mixture aside. 

                                      
4. Now it's time to make your cheese mixture. Combine the ricotta, parmesan, dried herbs, egg, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella. Set cheese mixture aside. 

                                      

5. Now you can start building the casserole! Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and add your broken noodles, veggie mixture, and browned sausage. The order doesn't matter, because you are going to mix everything together!

                                      

                                      

                                      

                                      


6. Now top that pile of delicious things with 3/4 of the jar of your favorite pasta sauce. Mix until everything is evenly distributed. Top with the cheese mixture and then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. 

                                      


                                      


                                      


                                      

7. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is melted and browned slightly. 

                                              

                          

YUM! This is the perfect meal after a stressful day at work. Serves 4 very hungry people on its own, serves 6 if you have a nice side salad with it. Enjoy!

                               





No comments:

Post a Comment