Sunday, August 11, 2013

Coffe Table Organizer Tutorial

If you are like me, your coffee table often disappears under piles of books, mail, and coffee cups. I hated how it always seemed cluttered, and I thought that maybe a cute tray would be an easy solution. I searched for a cute one, but I didn't find anything I liked that much. I decided to do a little DIY project, and headed to AC Moore to grab some supplies. Here is what you need:

- an unfinished wooden tray
- primer (paint on or spray on)
- paint
- paint brushes/sponges
- sand paper
- finishing paint/spray

* a note on spray-on primer and finishers: I've heard that they are great and easy to use, but I must say I've never been impressed. They mostly come out streaky and tacky despite me following the directions on the bottle. Maybe it's the brand I'm using, but I would rather take the extra time and just paint it on! If anyone knows of a good brand or has some tips for using spray-on primers and such, please let me know!

So first, sand that baby down! Make sure it is super smooth, especially around the edges as those tend to be quite rough.


Then, apply 1-2 coats of primer so the wood doesn't soak up all of your paint. I would recommend doing this outside as it is pretty stinky. Let each coat dry completely before applying another.



Next, grab your paint and go to town! I chose a pretty turquoise. Make sure you let each coat dry completely before applying another. I did 3 coats to get the color that I wanted. 

After your tray is totally dry, apply 1-2 coats of finisher. Do this outside as it smells!! After it is dry, you have a lovely coffee table organizer!


BEFORE:
Cluttered mess and trust me, this is my coffee table on a good day!






AFTER:





Hurrah, now your coffee table looks presentable and you can actually find things on it! There are so many other things you could do with this tray. Here are some ideas...

- don't just stop at the solid color of paint. Stencil it as well!
- cut out a piece of your favorite scrapbook paper and glue it on the inner bottom of the tray. Paint the rest of the tray, and make sure you an extra coat of the finishing spray on the paper. 
- use it to serve breakfast in bed
- use it on your dresser to hold perfumes, jewelry, etc

Have a crafty day!
-Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment