Friday, August 16, 2013

Vegan Superfood Smoothie + my favorite workout

This is one of my favorite smoothies! It is super healthy, keeps me full, and has tons of nutrients in it. Kale, berries, and bananas are full of cancer-fighting compounds, and the healthy fats in the coconut milk and avocado help your body absorb those compounds. On the plus side, avocado is considered to be a superfood as well! I know it sounds strange to put avocado in a smoothie, but I did it once when my avocado had ripened super fast and I didn't want it to go to waste. I tried it and now it is a staple in many of my morning smoothies- it adds this silky texture and a rich taste. I love to make this smoothie when I know I need a ton of energy for the day. Twice a week I support families with their morning routines, so this means being there at 6 am. I have to get up at 4:45 and leave my house at 5:30, and I go to the gym at 8am when my shift is done. Needless to say, I need something that really sticks with me until lunch time. This smoothie really fills me up, and it comes in at a mere 291 calories. You will need:





- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
- 1 packed cup of kale
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries

If you have a decent blender... Pack the kale, banana, avocado, and berries into your blender. Pour the coconut milk over the mix. Blend until smooth and enjoy!


If you have an $11 blender like me... I would suggest blending the kale, banana, avocado, and milk together first so you can really break down the kale. Plus, I can't fit everything into mine all at once!




Here it is without the berries... so green! Then the finished product with the berries...






YUM! If it is too thick for you, just add another splash or so of milk.

I personally am not a huge fan of sweet things in the morning, so I really like this smoothie. If you think it isn't sweet enough, I would add more berries and/or some honey/agave nectar.


My favorite workout (for after you've powered up with this smoothie!)

30-20-10 workout
I have seen this workout in many variations on different sites. Basically you can tweak it to your liking! I do 30 minutes on the stepmill (the one that looks like a mini escalator) on the fat burner setting, level 14. This is a great interval workout. Just remember to not lean all over the handles- a lot of people do that, but it makes it so you burn about 30% less calories! I then head over to the treadmill and run for 20 minutes. I use an incline of 3, and I start out at a pace of 6.3. After that, I increase the pace by .1 every 5 minutes. For the last 2 minutes, I run at a pace of 7.0 and then 7.3. I cool down walking for about 5 minutes at a pace of 3.0. For my last 10 minutes, I do abs and arms at home (sit ups, push ups, planks...). I like this workout because it goes by fast due to the constantly changing levels, and if I am ever bored I just replace the stepmill with another low-impact machine such as the arc trainer or the elliptical.

Have a healthy day!
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment