Monday, September 30, 2013

Mainely Mondays #2

Hello all! September was so busy... I went on vacation for the first week or so, and my dad powered through his first 2 IL-2 treatments. They were rough but he is a trooper, and all of our neighbors and friends were so helpful and caring. I really wanted to share one of my favorite moments of my vacation, which was a hike at Grafton Notch State Park in Newry, Maine. We hiked Old Speck mountain. It is a wonderful day hike, and leaves you some time in the afternoon to explore the historic downtown area of Bethel, which is adorable. We didn't as we were starving!!! Definitely something to do next time we go though. The trail is around 8 miles round trip, and it is considered to be an advanced one. It took us around 5.5 hours, including a pit stop for lunch. Roast beef sandwiches, YUM! When you get to the top there is this giant metal lookout tower, which I got halfway up and promptly realized that maybe I don't like heights so much. All in all, it was a beautiful day and a fun hike. If you are ever visiting Maine, I would highly recommend this spot. It is only about 2 hours away from Portland, and definitely less touristy than other hikes such as Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbour. Also, hiking is such a great workout- it's one of those things where you don't even mind that you are sweating like a pig- it's so darn pretty up there, and the fresh air is so invigorating. My next goal- to hike Mount Katahdin again! Where will your next hike be??

The stream that runs the whole way down the mountain. I love the little rock piles people make along the way!

The main waterfall on the trail

The cutest little mushrooms ever! I had to snap a picture. 

The first lookout right before you reach the top of the mountain

We made it- woooooo!

The view from the top of Old Speck

The scary lookout tower. Maybe if it hadn't been so windy, I would have made it to the top!



No comments:

Post a Comment