Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

It's been quite a year, and I am excited to begin a new one! I had a great Christmas- my fiance and I got our first tree together and had a craft day where we made all of the ornaments and the garland for the tree. The cats didn't even destroy any of them! I love Christmas- I might just leave the tree up for a while...
My man and I talked a lot about New Years resolutions, and we agreed that living a healthier lifestyle would be ours. I used to be at the gym almost every single day, but since November I've been really bad about it. On top of that, I ate all of that good holiday food! So I decided on doing the Whole30. You can find more about the program here. It started today, but I've been making some small changes over the past few weeks, such as: switching to coconut milk, replacing peanut butter with almond butter, and trying out some recipes. I've also been meal planning like crazy! I have a whole 2 pages full of Whole30 approved meals. So far, I think planning it the biggest key to success for this. Today I ate:

Breakfast: My new favorite green smoothie! 1 c. unsweetened coconut milk, one handful spinach, one banana, and one handful frozen mango chunks (I got mine at Trader Joes, it's the best deal around). Stick it all in a blender and you're good to go! You could use kale as well, I didn't as my itty bitty blender really has trouble with kale. Maybe when I have a nice one, I'll go back to kale.




Lunch: 2 eggs scrambled with sautéed onions, peppers, tomatoes, and spinach, topped with avocado slices and hot sauce. I had tomato juice to drink.



Dinner: Skillet Chicken Ratatouille (adapted from Rachael Ray) with a nice garden salad on the side.

Snacks throughout the day: 1/4 cup of cashews, carrot sticks and cucumber spears.

I'm feeling good so far, I think planning and taking on some of the Whole30 diet changes a few weeks ahead of time really helped this be an easy first day. If anyone else is doing the Whole30 program this month OR if you want to join (having a partner always helps!), let me know so we can trade tips!


Here are some blogs that really helped me out when I was doing my meal planning around this:

www.nomnompaleo.com
www.paleomg.com
www.kitchenintransition.com  (I went to college with the girl that does this blog- she's super sweet and a very talented cook!)


No comments:

Post a Comment