Sunday, January 19, 2014

Make a STATE-ment wall hanging DIY


So this weekend Matt (le fiance) and I were feeling kind of like crafting. We also made the decision that we were staying put in our apartment. We had been seriously thinking about moving but decided that for now, it didn't make sense. I mean, I'm 3.3 miles from work. That's awesome. So we're going to wait until I am assigned a new school to work in, which will happen once my client is self-sufficient enough to function in class without a BHP. So maybe in the fall, who knows! We decided that since we are hunkering down, we wanted out apartment to look more put-together. No, we can't afford new furniture, and we aren't allowed to paint (even though our kitchen is the color of baby puke), so we wanted to come up with some fun and cheap ways to make our place more homey. Our inspiration centered around our living room, were we realized that all of the art on the wall is by us, family members, or local craftsmen. We wanted to continue that trend. I had this awesome burlap canvas that I got on sale at Michaels, so we went and got some acrylic paint and got to work. We decided on an outline of Maine because we are celebrating one year of being back in our home state after 5 years away in Massachusetts. Here is what you will need to make your own state-ment wall art!






- a thick acrylic paint (one that has good coverage and isn't too opaque, we used System 3 acrylic by Daler Rowney in Sap Green)
- a paintbrush (we used a #10 flat brush, but anything medium sized stiff brush is good)
- a burlap canvas in the size of your choice (we used an artists's loft brand that was 16x20 inches)
- a printout of your state, blown up to fit your canvas. This will print on multiple pieces of paper and become your stencil. (we blew ours up 3x and it was perfect)
- a water-soluble fabric marker
- scissors
- tape


The paint and paintbrush we used


Cut out your state, assemble it, and tape it together so you have your stencil. Tape it to the center of your canvas and trace around it using the fabric marker. If you have a kind of intricately shaped state like ours (the rocky coast of Maine... it's impossible to trace), you can eyeball it as you go. This marker is water soluble, so if you make a mistake- no problem! Use a q-tip with water on it to erase. Easy cheesy. Now take off that stencil and admire your work. After making any adjustments you'd like, it's time to paint! Use your paintbrush to paint on a thick line of paint right over your outline. Let dry. We added another coat just to be safe, but this is up to you and depends on how much coverage you got with your paint. You're all done- you now have a piece of art you made yourself! Enjoy!

our stencil, all taped together



All ready to trace!

tracing the stencil with our water soluble pen

Painting time!





4 comments:

  1. That's so cute! I'm a little jealous that you live in such a cool state! I bet you have some awesome local artists. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine is pretty cool, but I could be biased :) glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Super cute! I love state art. My bf and I are born and raised in California so this is most definitely on the to-do list. Oh! I almost forgot, my cardigan pattern is ready for testing! If you still want to be a pattern tester will you send me your email to ohthecuteness@hotmail.com? I'll send you the link to grab the pattern. I'm sooo excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh California would definitely look awesome! I sent you my email- super excited for that baby cardigan, it's adorable!

      Delete